Seven Student-Athletes Recognized at 2011 University of Maryland Women's Water Polo Awards Banquet
COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Seven student-athletes were recognized with awards as the University of Maryland women's water polo team held its annual banquet last week in Heritage Hall at the Comcast Center to celebrate another successful season.
The Terps ended 2011 with a 19-14 record, including a perfect 4-0 mark in the CWPA Southern Division.
They also finished third in the CWPA Eastern Championship, matching their best-ever finish in the eight-year history of the program.
A number of awards were bestowed on the players during the 90-minute event:
• Coaches Award -
• Rookie of the Year - Katie Ermakova (Fr., Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake)
• Most Valuable Player - Allison Campbell (So., Maple Ridge, B.C./Maple Ridge Secondary)
• First Penguin Award - Meghan Powers (Sr., Los Altos, Calif./Los Altos)
• Defender of the Year - Shelby Reyes (Jr., Miami, Fla./Gulliver Prepatory)
• Sportsmanship Award - Christine Goetsch (Jr., Santa Barbara, Calif./San Marcus)
• Most Improved Player - Nicole Tobin (Fr., Winter Park, Fla./Winter Park)
In addition, Powers was honored as the senior with the best grade point average on the team, while Reyes led all juniors.
Seventh-year head coach Carl Salyer and assistant coach Serela Kay also named Reyes and Goetsch as captains for the 2012 season. Powers served as the team captain this past season.
Release courtesy Maryland Athletic Communications