University of Maryland Releases 2012 Women's Awards & Names 2013 Team Captains
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The University of Maryland water polo team came up just short in its bid for a berth in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Championship, but the Terps still posted their best season in program history.
After falling in the final of the Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) Eastern Championship versus Princeton University at Brown University, Maryland (20-7) ended the year ranked No. 12 in the women's varsity national poll which was released Wednesday. That marks the highest final ranking in school history (17th in 2011).
Head coach Carl Salyer and the Terps celebrated the accomplishments of the 2012 season Tuesday evening at their annual team banquet.
The following awards were bestowed at the one-hour event at Comcast Center:
• Most Valuable Player -
• Defender of the Year - Shelby Reyes
• Rookie of the Year - Zoe Respondek
• Terrapin Sportsmanship Award - Christine Goetsch
• Most Improved Terrapin - Rebecca Gerrity
• First Penguin Award* - Simone Lewis
* Self-sacrificing and unafraid to take risks
There were a number of accomplishments this season for both the team and student-athletes:
• Second-place finish in the CWPA Eastern Championship (best in program history)
• Best winning percentage in program history (.741)
• Perfect regular-season record in the CWPA Western Division (6-0)
• Allison Campbell: single-season school record for shooting percentage (.462); fourth-most points in school history (78); tied for fourth-most goals in school history (56).
• Shelby Reyes: third best single-season block percentage in school history (.568); fifth-most blocks in one season (133).
• Zoe Respondek: school record for assists by a freshman (39). That mark is second in school history.
• Nicole Tobin: third best single-season shooting percentage in Maryland history (.443) which is the top mark ever for a sophomore.
• Carly Hoshko: fifth best single-season shooting percentage in Maryland history (.420) which is the top mark ever for a senior.
• Rebecca Gerrity: ninth best single-season shooting percentage in Maryland history (.405).
The team also said goodbye to its three seniors - Goetsch, Hoshko and Reyes - at the banquet.
Goetsch ended her career ranked 13th in points (107), 14th in goals (61) and eighth in assists (46). Hoshko is 14th in points (97), tied for 11th in goals (70) and 18th in assists (27). Reyes is second in both career blocks (555) and block percentage (.518).
The senior class was a part of three top-three finishes at the CWPA Eastern Championship. Prior to that, the team had finished as high as fourth just once.
The Terps also named captains for the 2013 season. Campbell and Lewis will serve in that capacity.
Release courtesy Maryland Athletic Communications