Johns Hopkins University Bests No. 18 Bucknell University in Overtime Thriller, 11-9

Ross Schofield
Ross Schofield

BALTIMORE, Md. -- Division III No. 4-ranked Johns Hopkins University once again treated its home fans to a thriller as the Blue Jays beat No. 18-ranked Bucknell University, 11-9, in double overtime on Saturday afternoon in CWPA Southern Division East Region play.

Hopkins improves to 9-3 overall and 2-0 in the league play, while the Bison fall to 5-2 and 0-1 in the league.

Jack Else tied the match for just the second time when he scored with 1:34 to play to knot the score at 8-8. Following a Hopkins turnover with just over a minute to play, Bucknell had a chance to take its first lead of the match but a pair of Blue Jay blocks got the ball back to the home team with 32 ticks on the clock. Hopkins couldn't convert and Bucknell took over with 19 seconds to play but the JHU defense held and the teams were headed to overtime for the second time in the last five meetings.

Spencer Richley put Bucknell on top in the first overtime with 40 seconds to play, giving the Bison its first lead of the match. But Hopkins quickly answered as the Blue Jays were awarded a five-meter shot. Junior Kielan Crow took the shot and blew a goal past Matt Napleton with 20 seconds to play to tie the match at 9 and force a second overtime. In the second extra period, the Bison got a save from Napelton, but then hit the post on their ensuing possession. Junior Alex Whittam made Bucknell pay when he put Hopkins on top with his first of the afternoon at 1:49. Just 14 seconds later, Bucknell was awarded a five-meter, but Richley's shot clanged off the crossbar and Hopkins took over.

With 53 seconds to play and Hopkins leading by one, the Blue Jays got a turnover in their own end and Whittam was able to get out in transition, where he scored to put Hopkins ahead by two. Bucknell had one more chance in the waning seconds, but hit the post.

The late heroics didn't seem necessary early as Hopkins pushed out to a 3-1 lead after the first quarter, with goals from junior Ross Schofield, senior Mark Strickland and Crow. Junior Eli Levitt pushed the Jays' lead to three early in the second quarter, but the Bison came back with goals from Nick Barnett and Brian Barron to make it a two-goal game. Hopkins responded with two goals in the final two minutes of the half from junior Mike McCreery and Schofield to give JHU a 6-3 lead at the half.

Bucknell came out firing to start the third quarter, scoring three unanswered to tie the game at 6 apiece. The Blue Jays called timeout and coming out of the break, got back-to-back goals from freshman Wes Hopkins to retake the lead. Beau Caillouette would cut the deficit back to one with his third of the day with 48 seconds left in the third. After no lack off offense in the first three quarters, the teams would see just one goal in the fourth - Else's strike with 1:34 to play that set up the overtime.

Hopkins takes down its second straight top-20 team after beating 13th-ranked Princeton University in Baltimore on Friday night. Crow, Whittam and Schofield each netted a pair of goals, while Schofield also added three assists and had four steals. Freshmen Danny Ovelar and Scott Weigel shared time in goal, with Ovelar finishing with nine saves and one steal and Weigel stopping seven shots with three steals.

Release courtesy Johns Hopkins University Athletic Communications

View: Mobile | Desktop